Why social media? Many companies are aware that the Internet has a major influence on business processes and business success: Be it marketing and business initiation, recruiting and training, or the reputation of your own company – you can no longer ignore the Internet these days. In this context, social media and networks and everything that is to be understood as social interaction on the Internet in this context has also become relevant for companies.
Reasons Why Businesses Need Social Media
Facebook, Twitter and Co.
Colloquially, all networks such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, or even Xing are connected to social media. They are all based on the idea that two or more people enter into a connection with each other, that is, “make friends” within the network.
Messages, so-called “posts”, but also information such as links to interesting articles, photos, or videos can now be viewed and shared by the contacts confirmed within the network. Social means that people connect with one another in networks and exchange information and talk to one another.
In addition to social networks, weblogs (blogs for short), forums and wikis also belong to social media technologies. Social media are web-based media and tools that different users can use to communicate with one another on the web. It enables users to exchange ideas and actively shape content. The social interaction is thus shifted to the digital area. This is why the term “participation network” is often used.
The technical basis is provided by the so-called Web 2.0, which supports the joint creation, editing, and distribution of content. Where previously (potential) customers only received advertising messages, companies now have the opportunity to receive customer opinions directly.
5 tips for a successful social media strategy
- Without sufficient budget to launch chargeable campaigns, companies often lack reach on the relevant platforms. Therefore, the social media strategy must always be backed up with a relevant budget and staffing.
- Before designing the website, there is always the question of how the target group is represented in social media and what purpose a communication measure should serve.
- The content should be specially adapted to the respective use and properties of the platform.
- The dialogue with the customer is a company’s calling card on social media channels. It must be possible to do it without undue delay and with a sure hand.
- Only those who measure the success of their social media use can efficiently achieve their goals.
Every company has to decide for its individual purposes which path it would like to take in the social networks. The social media presence should not simply be an end in itself, but serve the company’s goals. It should also be considered on a case-by-case basis whether an appropriate expert should be consulted.
There is no doubt that the relevance of social media has risen sharply in recent years. This is also reflected in the companies’ marketing budgets. Social media marketing continues to be at the forefront of the fastest-growing areas of online marketing.